information and details
SPAM is a free admission festival. The event will be on Live streaming on the OAR YouTube channel.
Registration is required;
it is possible to book individual sessions: morning/afternoon;
(search for events by entering the keyword SPAM)
You can sign up also from our program
Registration entitles you to a seat in the room only up to 15 minutes from the start of the event.
Entrance is free according to seating availability;
During the festival, drink and food stands will be available
The library of the order of architects of Rome is located on the ground floor
L’Acquario Romano is in piazza Manfredo Fanti, 47, close to the Termini station
Lines: A and B
70 (Piazzale Clodio – Giolitti)
71 (S. Silvestro – Stazione Tiburtina)
Any bus direction Termini station
ES Park Giolitti – via Giovanni Giolitti 267
Esquilino Parking – Via Giovanni Giolitti, 271
Trains from and to the Leonardo Da Vinci Airport direction Stazione Termini every 30’ (Leonardo Express)
Casa dell’Architettura, Alice Buzzone, Rome Architects Association Council
Rome Association of Architects
Flavio Mangione | President
Christian Rocchi, Alessandro Panci, Antonio Marco Alcaro, Margherita Aledda, Fabrizio Asselta, Roberto Grio, Andrea Iacovelli, Filippo Maria Martines, Vito Rocco Panetta, Ombretta Renzi, Silvio Salvini, Marco Maria Sambo, Francesco Stapane, Chiara Tonelli
Luca Ribichini | President
Francesco Aymonino, Roberto Grio, Chiara Tonelli
our location: The Roman Aquarium
The Roman Aquarium, today the building of the order of architects landscape and conservation planners of Rome and its province (Ordine degli Architetti Pianificatori Paesaggisti e Conservatori di Roma e provincia), is an exceptional building, remarkable in size and with an unusual architecture: a kind of cross between the temple and the theatre… (Vittoria Calzolari).
The building was inaugurated in 1887 from a project designed by the architect Ettore Bernich (Rome, 1850 – 1914) in line with the project created by Quintino Sella, aimed at making Rome a centre for science.
The idea of building an aquarium with a fish hatchery in Rome came from the ichthyologist Pietro Garganico, whose project idea was to mix scientific and didactic functions with a more recreational purpose and offer it to the emerging bourgeoisie for whom the neighbourhood was originally intended.
In 1882, he obtained from the City Council the concession of a public space in the Esquilino area of Rome, Piazza Manfredo Fanti, in line with the programmatic guidelines for the urban renewal of the post-unitary capital.
The project area was symmetrically divided into two parts; one dedicated to the fullness of the building and the other to the emptiness of the garden. In the latter, a small lake and the scenic importance of the archaeological remains of the Servian walls were envisaged, as shown in a fresco inside the structure.
The building is composed of a cylindrical body with an elliptical base and a forepart with a niche arch that can be accessed via two flights of stairs. The atrium takes you to the central hall, characterized by a particular decorative richness. The hall is distinguished by a double order of cast iron Corinthian columns that support the upper gallery and the ceiling, while a double Corinthian order of semi-columns and pilasters runs along the perimeter walls, where spaces for the baths were created. Today these spaces are walled up.
support the upper gallery and the ceiling, while a double Corinthian order of semi-columns and pilasters runs along the perimeter walls, where spaces for the baths were created. Today these spaces are walled up.
Water is the theme that inspired the interior and exterior decorations. Originally, the hall’s cover consisted of a semi-vaulted false ceiling, replaced in 1930 with the current one which follows the dodecagonal shape of the large skylight. In the central hall, the fish tanks remained functional until 1894, while the same hall and the galleries were used for exhibitions, competitions and association meetings. After serving different purposes, it was abandoned, until the restoration work carried out between 1986 and 1990, following a project by V. De Feo and S. Stucchi, through which the architecture and decorations were entirely recovered. Since its reopening in 1993, the Roman Aquarium has hosted numerous exhibitions.
Various services and functions are offered inside the Roman Aquarium such as the bookshop, the publishing house and the café.
The library, home of architecture, located on the ground floor of the Roman Aquarium, boasts a remarkable selection of national and international magazines specialized in architecture, landscape and design, as well as a vast assortment of architecture and art texts, regulatory and technical updates, essays and manuals ranging from project planning to design, from landscape to urban planning, from the history of architecture to restoration.
Architetti Roma Edizioni srl is a publishing house that promotes and disseminates architectural culture. It publishes manuals, monographs, essays, catalogues and magazines in the fields of architecture, art, photography, landscape, urban planning, restoration and design.